EXCLUSIVE DETAILS FROM THE BUILDING BRIDGES INITIATIVE(BBI) REPORT
¶Proposal to have a one 7-year-term for presidency.The head of state will be elected by the MPs and serve for one 7-year non-renewable term to enhance efficiency of the president in delivering on development agenda.
¶Handshake team proposes president be elected by college of legislatures
¶The team wants nominated positions abolished and 14 regional governments introduced
¶Recommends Senate be reduced to 29 members and MPs from 349 to 180.
¶The task force proposed restructuring of the executive to introduce position of the prime minister.
¶In regard to devolution, BBI wants counties reduced to 14 and be replaced by regional governments as proposed in the Bomas draft.
¶The regional government as proposed should be allocated at least 45% of the national revenue, up from the current threshold of 15% for counties.
¶Recommends restructuring of Parliament to strengthen the Senate as the Upper House with 29 members, 2 elected from each of the 14 regional governments and a speaker.
¶Abolishment of nominated positions in both the National Assembly and the Senate.
¶The team wants Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission (IEBC) devolved to each of the 14 regions with political parties being given power to nominate the commissioners.
1. President term limit to one-term, 7 years non renewable.
2. President elected by Parliament
3. Reduce MPs from 349 to 180.
4. Introduce 14 regional governments. (GOVERNOR )
5. Reduce senators to 29 (2 per region plus speaker )
6. Introduce regional assembly ( where MCAs sit)
7. Prime minister post – to be appointed by president from party with majority MPs. He will form cabinet.